Monday, August 29, 2011

Cold Laser Therapy and Treatments - A Chiropractic View


Cold Laser Treatments

The first time I saw star wars, I was six years old. I remember my friend going on and on about Darth Vader and C3PO. He was fascinated by these characters. I on the other hand was fascinated by the light saber. I thought it was the coolest thing that I had ever cast my young eyes on. The light saber was a laser sword that could cut through almost any substance, and could only be deflected by another light saber.

It was the first laser of any kind that I can remember, and I fought many mock light saber duels with my fellow star wars jedi wannabes. I thought a laser of any kind was a dangerous and powerful weapon and not until years later, while visiting the dentist, did I realize it's healing potential.

Low Laser Light therapy or cold laser therapy is a treatment modality that I have been investigating and interested in for many years. Many of my colleagues have reported great results with these devices that it sparked my interest. The health benefits of the low level laser include:

  • Reduces inflammation
  • Relieves both acute and chronic pain
  • Speeds up tissue repair
  • Increases the quality and tensile strength of the tissue
  • Increases blood supply
  • Promotes faster wound healing and clot formation
  • Stimulates the immune system
  • Stimulates nerve function
  • Develops muscle tissue and collagen
  • Helps generate new and healthy cells and tissue
  • Aids in neuroplasticity
  • Can be used on acupuncture points
  • Can be used for desensitization to food intolerances

These are only some of the possible applications and outcomes.

Biological light receptors in tissue are called chromophores. Chromophores have been researched to have a maximum therapeutic activation at 660 nm and 905 nm wavelength. It is the activation of these chromophores that causes many healing biochemical reactions. For example as soon as a chromophore is activated the oxygen carrying capacity of blood in the region being treated increases by three times, which aids in the healing process. It is the collimation, coherency and polarization of the laser light that allows the light to penetrate the skin and activate the chromophore.

Some benefits of using low level laser therapy is the device can be used on a patient with a comfortable distance from the wound and tissue being treated, It can be administered through natural fiber clothing, eye protection is not necessary for the doctor or the patient, the patient doesn't feel heat and has very little sensation, and it takes very little time to treat an area.

Since I have been using low level laser therapy in my practice and I have had great results with numerous patients. This week a patient came into my practice after being in a minor car accident. Her neck was in spasm and she could barely turn her head to the left. I pushed on her trapezius and levator scapulae muscles and she responded with an "Ouch that is really tender".

I performed sweeping movements with the laser for about 90 seconds on both of these muscles. When I touched these muscles after using the low level laser, she indicated that the tenderness had gotten better and had about 60% less pain in these muscles. After the laser treatment I performed a gentle spinal manipulation on her neck and she said that the adjustment was fluid, not painful, and she felt significantly better.

Another patient came into the practice with tennis elbow (pain at the lateral side of the elbow). I used the low level laser and he reported a significant decrease in pain after 6 sessions. There is a great article that discusses low level laser treatment of tendinopathy in the journal Photomed Laser Surg, 2010.

Many patients have discovered what foods or allergens are a problem for their bodies through the nutrition response testing technique. I have recently introduced a desensitization technique that uses laser acupuncture to help the body to become tolerant to these foods again.

After using the laser on the master points and the patient complying with three weeks of abstaining completely from these foods, many have been able to tolerate these foods again. Using the laser on these points acts as a kind of rewiring, so the body doesn't react in the same way and responds better to these foods.

As we continue to discover and appreciate the benefits of light as a therapy, may there be increased light in all of your lives!

Healthfully yours,

Dr. Louis Granirer

For more information please call 1-866-843-5273 or visit www.theralase.com

No comments:

Post a Comment