Using soybean oil, coconut oil, and geranium oil, this product has been shown to keep bugs away for an average of 95 minutes. Several options, including formulas for kids and pets, are available in retail stores and online at www.homs.com.5
Burts Bees Herbal Insect RepellantTM
Eucalyptus and lemongrass repel mosquitoes in this oil that is rubbed onto the skin.
Essential oils: lemon eucalyptus, cedar wood, lemongrass, rosemary, clove, frankincense and peppermint
Dilute 10 drops of essential oil to 2 tablespoons of carrier oil (such as grape seed or vegetable oil) to prevent skin irritation that may occur from using the concentrated oil directly on your skin.
Neem Aura Naturals Bug Disenchanter, Neem Tree Farms Botanical Outdoor Gel or Spray
Long seen as a solution to many health problems, Neem oil can also keep bugs at bay. Current research classifies Neem oil as relatively non-toxic, with even high amounts not causing problems. Caution is recommended for women of child bearing age and families trying to conceive.6
Catnip oil: Nature’s Herbal Mosquito & Insect Shield
Catnip oil has been shown by the American Chemical Society and USDA to be nearly as effective as DEET in repelling bugs without the harmful side effects.7
To manage mosquitoes and other pests in your yard, take the following precautions:
- Plant insect-repelling plants in your garden. Marigolds, geraniums, catnip, citronella grass, and mosquito plants naturally keep bugs away and look beautiful in your garden. Peppermint, lemon balm (citronella), rosemary, thyme, and other herbs also have mosquito-repelling properties. You can also crush the leaves of these plants to release the oils and put them in alcohol to make an insect-repelling spray.
- Burn sandalwood sticks in your yard.
- Eliminate standing water from your yard and neighborhood—this is where mosquito eggs flourish and eventually hatch.
- Don’t wear lotions and perfumes while outdoors—the scents often attract mosquitoes and flies.
- Burn citronella candles in outside areas with low wind.
- Keep screens in doors and windows in good condition and sealed around the perimeter so mosquitoes and flies cannot enter the house.